Thursday, October 7, 2010

Rain

It's really raining now. Coming down in steady, even droplets. Not sheets. We never get sheets of rain here in Idaho. Any rain at all in October is a rare occurrence, as we practically live in a desert. This summer was brutal. The crops of wheat and snow peas get all their hydration from the winter snows, which apparently provide enough moisture to keep them growing all year. In fact, I've heard that too much rain around this time of year will ruin them.

Not only is it getting wetter and colder, the days are starting to shorten. Sun doesn't come up as early as it used to a week ago. I know this because I wake up a sunrise... usually. This morning I technically should have gotten up before the sun. I didn't.

School is nearly empty. While on a summer night you might walk through the halls and hear the small "cricket, cricket" of the silence. Now it seems more like a cave. Dark, a little dank, but a solitary shelter from the wet drip outside. A few more animals have decided to huddle in the cave with you... but here, there be dragons. Errrr... I mean finals.

Compared to the beginning of the week, the school is kind of dead. "Kind of," what a pathetic, measly sort of descriptor, wheezing on death's doorstep. I can think of better adjectives, but finals week is drawing near a close and stronger metaphors I cannot think of.

Pulling my headphones off, I breathe in the sudden silence that replaces the raucous punk music that was being intravenously fed into my blood stream. I sigh a little. There are a few squeaking doors, the far off sound of a generator, the whoosh of cars splashing through puddles outside. And of course, the ever-present "clickity, clickity, click" of my fingers on the keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment