Monday, October 24, 2011

Before the Crown

Dear Lord, my bones are weak
My stomach’s filled with stones
I’ve been told you love the meek
But dear God, I’m so alone

Dear Son, I know your pain
I’ve borne the same disgrace
Be careful not to place the blame
Outside its proper place

Dear Lord, I know I oughtn’t
Point fingers and deride
But is this anguish all my fault?
Can I still in You confide?

Dear Son, you know me faithful
I always have been true
But you must be grateful
E’en when paths aren’t clear to you

Dear Lord, I’m losing strength
The world says that You’re wrong
It ridicules You at length
And I begin to feel I don’t belong

Dear Son, I love you everyday
I’ve held you close always
And this is where I mean to stay
Until one day I raise

Up above this broken shell
And ring in new life with golden bell
The stories shattered, this I know
But death will be dealt a final blow

I’m fighting still, though king I be
Stand by my side and slay with me
My enemies are not all gone
Death and hell still sing their song
Of hate and pain and lust and pride
Of all the souls to whom they lied
They make my demands seem hard and cruel
But this is their dance, their fiendish duel

You’ve turned and fled, hiding in the earth
Now the devil laughs his charmless mirth
Will you let him have the final joke?
Or will you let Me crush his throat?

I’ve had to pry open your hand
And take when you don’t understand
For how can I place in your palm,
A gift, a present or a psalm,
When you hold tight and won’t let go
And let me love on you bestow?

Dear Lord, I beg You to forgive me please
I was too willing my own pride to seize
I pray You now let me fall asleep
Let me breathe and dream and silence keep

Let me find peace in a life
That is not so filled with self and strife
Let me worship and bow down
Let me kneel before the crown

No comments:

Post a Comment